fennel and pink peppercorn gravlax
- 1 side salmon or ocean trout, skin on, totalling about 1.3kg
- grated rind 1 lemon
- 1 bunch dill, chopped
- ½ cup salt
- ½ cup white sugar
- ½ cup vodka
- 1 tsp fennel seeds, lightly toasted and crushed in a mortar and pestle
- 2 tbs pink peppercorns, lightly crushed
- 1 sourdough baguette, thinly sliced diagonally and lightly toasted, or rye or black bread, thinly sliced and lightly toasted
- Crème fraiche, to serve
- Using tweezers, remove any protruding pin bones from the fish.
- Make a soggy mixture of the lemon rind, dill, salt, sugar, vodka, fennel seeds and half the pepper. Spread half the mixture into a large plastic container large enough to hold the fish flat.
- Place the fish skin side up on the mixture, then cover with remaining mixture, rubbing it into the skin. Seal with a lid or plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator to marinate 48 hours. Turn the fish every 12 hours.
- Start carving from the tail end, holding the knife to produce thin slices as you would smoked salmon, cutting the flesh away from the skin as you do. Serve with crème fraiche and toast.
This recipe was produced for Electrolux by Kate Gibbs. Photography by Nikki To. Styling by Kate Gibbs. Food assist Tina McLeish.